Tuesday, June 30, 2009

"Sweaty Guy"

Lee sweats a lot when he is outside, working out, etc so it came to no surprise when I learned that he's being called, "Sweaty Guy" by his Drill Sergeant. In Lee's most recent letter he wrote that the Drill Sergeant approached and yelled, "Where's my Sweaty Guy?!" Lee had to respond, "Here Drill Sergeant, moving Drill Sergeant!" Lee said that he ran up to the Drill Sergeant and was then told to lay on the ground and play dead. Everyone yelled, "Man Down!" The Drill Sergeant then told everyone how to treat a heat casualty. They were instructed to strip Lee down to his undies and place him on a stretcher. The unit was then instructed to place a rolled up ice sheet under Lee's legs, each armpit, neck and one sheet over the entire body. The ice chest is then dumped over the victim. Lee said it was, "Cooooooold!" He also said that they have true heat casualty victims daily since the heat/humidity is fierce. They have these ice chests dispersed all over the base and monitor the guys constantly by little portable devices on tripods. I got a letter from his Commander with graduation dates. I am very excited to have actual dates. It makes counting down to see my soldier a lot easier. The Commander's letter also mentioned that his platoon would be "eligible" for a Family Day in August! Meaning, if no one screws it up I can see him. This would mean me flying out there in August for Family Day, September for OSUT Graduation and October for Airborne Graduation. Lee's family offered to help pay for the August trip if it is confirmed that his platoon is granted the privilege. I thought that was very sweet and generous of them to help. Tickets are approximately $700 for that particular weekend. Ridiculous for a 2 day trip non overnight pass but I don't think the Commander cares what I think...Let's all keep our finger crossed that Lee gets the "privilege" of seeing me!

No comments: