Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Play by Play

"We can't all be Heroes. Some of us have to stand on the curb and clap as they go by." Will Rogers


Last night's Honor Flight ceremony was so incredibly cool. I walked through the doors not knowing what to expect. Lee was already there assisting in whatever needed to be done. I was greeted with a sincere welcome by volunteers in the organization and immediately surrounded by elderly men that once served bravely in World War II.Words cannot express the gratitude, pride, and intimidation I felt. Jersey Mikes catered and we then waited for the auditorium doors to open. Finally, all family and guests filed into the auditorium to find a seat. Suddenly, there were drums and we all stood up and gave a standing ovation while the 100 veterans (with the assistance of their guardians) began to come down the aisle to find their reserved seat. I was awestruck. I happened to have an inside aisle seat and as each veteran turned into the aisle it was if they were looking for a focus through a sea of people. I saw so much emotion in all those worldly eyes that found me. Some reached out and shook my hand or nodded with thanks. I originally wanted to film the Veteran's entrance but I couldn't hold the camera. I had to clap! How could I not? I fought hard to hold back tears through my beaming cheesy smile. I felt my heart swell with pride as I stood there and watch all those men take their seats.
Other happenings included A Presentation of Colors by the Oklahoma National Guard, Pledge of Allegiance led by a Pearl Harbor survivor, special comments from Governor Mary Fallin ( I admire her mucho.), an introduction of each of the veterans, a special video, a song sung by a local elementary, and a sweet exchange made between the Junior ROTC students and all the Veterans, but the Veteran's entrance was by far my favorite.
Wish you could have been there to cheer along beside me. You should definitely look to see when a local Honor Flight ceremony is near you and attend or find a way to donate. It's a small action to show your gratitude for these soldiers. They all gave some, some gave their all.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." Ronald Reagan

No comments: